Beautifly Blended

Beautifly Blended
"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so you are in My hands." God said. Jeremiah 18:6

20 August 2013

The Kombucha Story

Well as you have read in several posts I have been making this weird drink call kombucha  (pronounced KOM BOO CHA) try it...it is so much fun to say KOM BOO CHA .... KOM BOO CHA...KOMBOOCHA....KOMBUCAH...KOMBUCHA..be careful you could start to do a little jig with it..

Okay now that you have that out of your system.

What is Kombucha?

Kombucha is an effervescent fermentation of sweetened tea that is used as a functional food. (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Did you understand all that? I know I didn't! I don't do well with such BIG words. So, I had to do more research and this is what I came up with.

Kombucha (Arica's definition) A fermented, cultured drink that is consumed with probiotics that cause better health in your body.

I see, I too, have used a big word Probiotic. What is a probiotic?

A live bacteria that promotes your digestive system and your immune system.

Wow.. all that in a silly little drink call Kombucha.

I was first introduced to Kombucha from a dear friend of mine, Joli. I was at her house one day and I noticed she had all these different jars of weird looking stuff just growing on her counters. Well, curiosity got the best of me and I began asking questions.

If you don't know Joli, she has a plethora of knowledge on healthy living. So the word storm began. There was no stopping her until I asked if I could try some kombucha. She gave me this great big smile and poured a small amount.


At first, I was like hum, this tastes like vinegar. I wasn't thrilled with the taste until she started experimenting with flavors. Oh how, I just love flavors of all sorts.

So not long after that I got back with Joli and she gladly gave a Scobey. That is the active yeast that grows on top of your kombucha batch.

Here she is at the beginning of her life here in the Griner household. I do have to say that she has grown quite nice in the last few weeks that I have had her.

I have been through three batches of kombucha now, and I too have been playing with all kinds of different flavors.


I have made...


Lemon----loved it
Raspberry----hated it
Triple berry consisting of (raspberry, strawberry, blue berry) ----loved it
Peach ginger---Can't live without it
blueberry--didn't like it much
Lemon Ginger---yeah nope not for me
Peach ----love it
Lemon/Lime--yikes to tart

So, does the buck stop here for me??

Heck NO JOE!!!

I will keep on keeping on with the flavors.

Do you Kombucha????


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wild Olive