Beautifly Blended

Beautifly Blended
"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so you are in My hands." God said. Jeremiah 18:6

16 September 2013

Grow your own Scoby?!?!

Some of you maybe asking yourself right now what is a scoby?

It is a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast. That is a scary answer.. I just call me La'quisha an La'toyia. I have two now, and they are beautiful healthy looking girls. Why do I call them girls? Because if you study your scoby, like I did mine you will notice that they will have babies grow on them. As far as I am concerned females, other than seahorses, produce babies. So, girls they shall be called.

I must say this Kombucha rave has taken off in the south. I know Joli has helped many of her friends and I have gotten a couple of mine getting started. Each time you want to help someone you are having to cut your scoby and give a little to them to get them going. And, I didn't want to have to keep cutting my girls and I needed another way to get scobys fast.

How Arica do you do that? 

Well I am glad you asked blog readers. Here is how.

Not long ago I was plundering through Pintrest, which is something I love to do, and came upon this video on how to GROW your scoby. I was totally impressed, at first I was a little skeptical but, I knew I had to try it.

The next time I was co-op, I went to this Farmers Depot place where they have organic everything. I bought a bottle of the blandest Kombucha they had. When, I got home I got two quart jars and split the Kombucha between them. It probably filled them up about 1/4 of the way. Placed a paper towel over them  tied with string, you don't want to paper towel flying off all the time, and left them alone for 14 days.

And, after my 14 days this is what I had....


There she is. The white thing floating at the bottom. What she is sitting in right now I would call that the starter tea. I would recommend anyone who is going to grow your own scoby use this tea when you make your gallon.

How to make the Kombucha is simple.

6-8 tea bags (any tea of your choice black, green, or white)
1 c of sugar (that seems like a lot but that is what your girl will eat)

Boil the water and pour over your tea bags and sugar a rough four cups of water. Stir with a wooden spoon (NOT METAL) Let it set out until it is a room temp. Once cooled pour into a gallon GLASS jar and fill the rest of the way with water. Put a coffee filter, dish towel, cheese cloth or something airish like that over your opening and leave her alone for about 5-7 days.

Drain all but about 20% and start the process all over again.


I recommend using a jar like this one, but with out the metal spout.




Look how pretty. I was so impressed. I gave one to my dear friend Avis, and I saved one for me. Now, all you have to do is feed them/her.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wild Olive